Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dark Kiss ~ Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was lucky enough to score a copy of Dark Kiss through Netgalley. Sometimes Netgalley reads can be hit or miss but this one was definitely a hit for me. Dark Kiss is just the kind of YA I really enjoy.


Summary from Goodreads:
I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising..


First off the story is written in an intelligent fashion. Even though the main character is a 17 year old girl, she is not made to have an annoyingly stereotypical vocabulary. For me this is where many decent YA stories go wrong. Some authors try to dumb down the characters to make them seem more like teenagers. I may not be a teenager, but I can't imagine 16 and 17 years olds like to read stories that make their age bracket sound like morons. Michelle Rowen did an excellent job creating believable teenagers, who I actually liked and felt bad for.


OK I'll get down off my soap box now and get back to why Dark Kiss is worth the read.
Now maybe I just haven't read a large amount of Angel/Demon novels but the way the author has the Angels and Demons working as a team is completely different from anything I've read so far. I really liked the whole Ying and Yang feel. I would have to guess something pretty sinister in lurking about if Heaven and Hell have decided to team up.


Sam finds herself in the middle of what could be an epic battle, but she has no idea why. What starts as a chance encounter turns her whole world upside down. To make matters worse, or better, Sam finds that she is drawn to the strange boy she meets sitting on a park bench. Should she trust him? Can she trust anyone? The whole novel was so fast paced that I could not put it down. I read the whole thing in one sitting. I may have stayed up way too late but I just couldn't put it down. I really can't wait till the next one comes out and I am putting this series in with my favorites. 


Of course since this one isn't actually out till May 22 I am going to have to wait a bit.
My suggestion to you is put in that pre-order today. You will be glad you did!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment