Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Cover of Darkness ~ Gregory Delaurentis

Cover of DarknessCover of Darkness by Gregory Delaurentis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I got this one as a review request a few weeks ago and have just gotten around to reading it. I am so behind these past few weeks! Now this one is totally different from my normal Sci-fi/paranormal stuff.

Summary:The local Westchester police turn to One Police Plaza when a high profile murder lands in their backyard. Captain Sam Jefferies takes the case and assigns it to two ex-police detectives turned private investigators. Kevin Whitehouse possesses a keen analytical mind necessary for deconstructing especially challenging cases, while his partner David Allerton functions as the embodiment of the skills he honed from his Special Forces–Army Rangers training. Margaret Alexander, Kevin’s feisty yet nurturing lover, enhances the duo’s investigative powers with her own unique perspective on their case. The murder leads the two detectives into the glitzy and tawdry side of Manhattan’s nightlife, encountering both the guilty and the innocent as they follow the leads that bring them to the brink of madness and despair—as well as test the limits of friendship and loyalty. 


My take:
This was one of those times I was torn with the rating. On the one hand I think the story line itself was good. The characters were interesting and had some depth. The author has done some research to give the police qwork an accurate feel. Kind of like watching Law and order, only edgier. My only trouble was with the whole snow bunnies thing. Over and over. I don't know why it bugged me but it did. Maybe it was just that the copish talk felt forced. But either way if you enjoy the old style PI novels I think you will like this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment