Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff ~ Lane Heymont

The Freedman and the Pharaoh's StaffThe Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff by Lane Heymont
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I was lucky enough to receive this one to review and have finally gotten the time to do it! Make sure you check out my interview with the author as well.

Summary:
Jeb, a former slave, rescues his brother-in-law Crispus from the Ku Klux Klan, pulling him into a world of Creole Voodoo, hatred, time travel, and redemption. The two brothers-in-law set out to stop Verdiss and his Klan followers from using the Pharaoh's Staff, a magical artifact from ancient Egypt. Soon, Jeb and Crispus learn Verdiss’ diabolical plan and discover that he is working for an even more evil force. In the end Jeb and Crispus must stop the eradication of an entire people and each must find redemption for his own past sins.

My take:
Totally enjoyable and well written. This was one of those stories you don't want to put down but then are sorry when you read it too fast. As soon as I saw the summary had both Voodoo and Time Travel I knew this was one for me. I always enjoy complex stories and this one did not disappoint. I enjoyed the way Heymont was able to weave multiple fantasy elements into one story that really worked. With and exciting storyline and compelling characters this one was totally worth the read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment