Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Tudor Tuesday : The Other Boleyn Girl ~ Philippa Gregory


Welcome to Tudor Tuesday! From now on every Tuesday we will review a book related to Tudor England. Luckily there are plenty to choose from! Have one of your own you'd like to be featured? Have a cover you'd like to release? Feel free to contact me.

The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary: When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king and take fate into her own hands.

Summary: I have to say this is the first novel of the Tudor Series that I have read and I really loved it. Being a lover of Tudor History I think it was great to see the story from the perspective of Mary. If you enjoyed the TV show the Tudors this is a must read. Mary's character (and in fact her life) had a much bigger impact on Henry the 8th than most people would realize and I think its great she has finally gotten her story told. There are of course so interesting twists along her path. In some ways real life can be far more twisted than fiction and I'm sure the author took some of her own opinions and guesses to fill in the Historical blanks. Overall the story was excellent. I think if Philippa Gregory was hired to write History books more of us would have learned something!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment