Friday, January 4, 2013

Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader ~ Cassandra Clare

Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments ReaderShadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I picked this one up as a netgalley and have just gotten around to reviewing it.

Summary:Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series, epic 

urban fantasy set in a richly imagined world of 

shadowhunters, vampires, werewolves, fairies, and more, has 

captured the imaginations and loyalty of hundreds of 

thousands of YA readers. Originally a trilogy (City of Bones

City of AshesCity of Glass), the series has extended to six 

titles, plus a prequel trilogy, the Infernal Devices, and a 

planned sequel series, the Dark Artifices. A feature film is 

planned for 2013.

Shadowhunters and Downworlders, edited by Clare (who

 provides an introduction to the book and to each piece), is a 

collection of YA authors writing about the series and its 

world.


Authors Who Contributed:

Holly Black / Kendare Blake / Gwenda Bond / Sarah Rees 

Brennan / Rachel Caine / Sarah Cross / Kami Garcia / 

Michelle Hodkin / Kelly Link / Kate Milford / Diana 

Peterfreund / Sara Ryan / Scott Tracey / Robin Wasserman


My Take: First off I'd like to say I am a huge Mortal Instruments fan (at least the first 3). I will probably make it to the movies to see the first one in theaters as well so I think my opinion may be slightly different than someone who is not as into the series. I also have read a few other similar novels (game of thrones, etc) so I knew what I was getting into.

Essentially this is a grouping of essays that have something to do with the series. Some of them are insightful and compare the world of MI to our world. They address how Clare handled real world issues in her own altered world. That being said I don't think there is all that much new information for fans. Mostly you will get other peoples opinions and will be able to see how they align with your own.

I think if you love the series its probably worth picking up.


No comments:

Post a Comment