Wednesday, March 4, 2020

The Witcher ~Andrzej Sapkowski

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I won't lie, I'm not a big video game fan. When I heard the tittle The Witcher thats what came to mind. So this year when Netflix made it into a show I really didn't have much interest. After the recommendation of many friends I decided to give it a try. Then after the first episode I realized it was actually based on a book series! Count me intrigued. So I picked up the first installment and I loved it.


Summary:
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin. And a cold-blooded killer. His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world. But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

A collection of short stories introducing Geralt of Rivia, to be followed by the first novel in the actual series, The Blood of Elves. Note that, while The Last Wish was published after The Sword of Destiny, the stories contained in The Last Wish take place first chronologically, and many of the individual stories were published before The Sword of Destiny

My Take:

This is definitely what I would consider high fantasy. I do think watching the show helped set the stage in my mind a little bit. You have to keep in mind that the novels are translated to English from Polish. Due to that fact a few of the names seem questionable. I also found it hard to find the correct order to read the books in. According to google The Last Wish was first so thats where I started.

In case the 5 star review didn't tell you I really enjoyed this book. I loved the way the author incorporated old fairy tales into the story line. Fractured fairy tales have always had a special place in my heart and this collection had quite a few. My favorite was the Witcher version of Beauty and the Beast.

I'm excited to get started on the next book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment