Thursday, March 5, 2020

A Killer's Mind ~ Mike Omer

A Killer's Mind (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #1)A Killer's Mind by Mike Omer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this novel up because of my current obsession with Criminal Minds. I tend to bounce between crime serials and fantasy novels. Since my schedule has been pretty hectic I got it as an Audible Audio book.

Summary:
Three Chicago women have been found strangled, embalmed, and posed as if still alive. Doubting the findings of the local PD’s profiler, The FBI calls on forensic psychologist Zoe Bentley to investigate.

Zoe quickly gets off on the wrong foot with her new partner, Special Agent Tatum Gray. Zoe’s a hunter, intense and focused; Tatum’s a smug maverick with little respect for the rules. Together, they must descend into a serial killer’s psyche and untangle his twisted fantasies, or more women will die. But when the contents of three inconspicuous envelopes reveal a chilling connection to gruesome murders from Zoe’s childhood, suddenly the hunter becomes the hunted.


My Take:
Since it was an audio book I may have a slightly different take on the novel. I do feel like audio books make editing errors and overuses of phrases jump out more than if you are reading the words yourself. The biggest hold out I had was that the reader has a really horrible fake Boston accent. It was so disturbing at one point I almost gave up completely.
The story is what kept me going. I found the characters interesting. Especially Tatums grandfather and their pretty wacky relationship. I do feel like you generate a general level of concern for the characters. The case is interesting, if not a little bit disturbing. I'm not sure how much of the police work is true to real life but it seemed pretty similar to the way things are handled in similar FBI based novels. Overall I liked it but I recommend you read it yourself and skip the audio book if you are from the Boston area.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment